7.23.2009

NEW SILLS!



Today was a day of glory!!! Our house has all new sills! Yay!

We put in eight this week and I haven't been able to post, but I'll put up pictures this weekend. Tomorrow shall be a day of rejoicing and celebration at the Delaware State Fair (I'm gonna pet the baby goats!) and... a secret surprise for my awesome builder at the Grandstand at 8:oo pm. That's enough info for anyone who cares to Google it.

Most of the advice for our work came from George Nash, author of Renovating Old Houses. Besides the construction advice (400 glorious pages of it) comes this piece of personal advice that I think is fantastic:

"Remember that the house is a means, not the end. There are times when you should put the hammer down, say “to hell with it” and go out to dinner. Listen to your partner. Keep your sense of humor well oiled. Listen to yourself, know when you need to stop. And stop. Do not ignore this advice. There is nothing sadder than a house that has devoured the souls of its people, or than the emptiness of waking up at night and seeing a stranger lying beside you.”

A little foreboding, I know. But his frank acknowledgement of the emtional aspects that come with doing the kind of work we're doing is actually reassuring. Sanity can prevail! Huzzah! Baby goats! Huzzah! Okay...clearly, my mind is not on the project anymore this week, so...

Have a great weekend!
(Not my goat. This fine, fine goat lives in Bridgeville, DE and likes to come to the fair. www.delwareboergoats.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment